This adapter is designed to prevent electrical accessories from interfering with the electrical system on late model BMW, Ducati, and other European motorcycles with a Can-BUS electrical system and a "City Light" 194 marker bulb in the headlight.
Please Note: Only compatible with bikes that use a 194 marker bulb and have a "universal" bulb connector; will not fit bikes with a custom OEM 194 bulb connector.
It includes a diode for built-in reverse polarity protection. This item is designed solely to provide a "hot" trigger wire to activate a relay to power other accessories, such as driving lights, accessory fuse blocks, GPS, or other 12-volt electrical devices when the motorcycle is turned on without upsetting the motorcycle's sensitive CAN-BUS system. This adaptor is also removable without leaving holes in the insulation of the original wiring harness, so it keeps your warranty in place even at the strictest dealers.
Installation is simple:
1. Remove the socket from the headlight housing.
2. Unplug the bulb from the socket.
3. Plug the circuit board into the socket from where you just removed the bulb.
4. Place heat shrink over the socket and circuit board and apply heat.
5. Plug the bulb into the new socket.
6. Using the lead coming from the socket, activate an external relay.
External relay not included.
We recommend the Twisted Throttle Power Hub Auxiliary Motorcycle Fuse Block (sold separately) for attaching up to 6 switched accessories to your motorcycle.
The following bikes are confirmed to use Canbus electrical systems and have 194 marker bulbs. We have NOT confirmed that the 194 marker bulb connector on these bikes is a "universal" shape and is compatible with this part. Please send us photos if you've confirmed fit (or not fit) and we'll update our site!
...and most other R and K series bikes 2005 and later.
Asterisks (*) used above indicate that the bike uses some CANBUS technology, but uses a standard non-CANBUS 3-wire running/brake light. Such bikes can trigger a relay or running light simply by tapping into the running light wire; no CANBUS adapter is necessary for low load applications.
We've heard rumors that the Kawasaki ZX14 and GTR1400 Concours may have a canbus system, but we have not yet confirmed this.
Bikes confirmed NOT to have Canbus electrical systems:
F650ST and Funduro
G650Xcountry, G650Xmoto, and G650Xchallenge
...and most other R and K series bikes before 2005.
- Review by VapTrl
- Review by luigidelgado
1. Due to the fact you have to drill a hole in the headlamp box the kit should include a rubber seal or something to avoid water into the headlamp.
2. A piece of heat-shrink tube would be great. (Posted on 4/15/2015)