Director of Purchasing and Supply Chain Operations
Job Title: Director of Purchasing and Supply Chain Operations
Reports To: CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Obsessively optimizes fill rate, inventory value, backorder quantity and delay time, order cancellation value, and inventory turn rate at the brand, bike model, product line, and SKU levels. Unburdens sales growth from the restraints of stock-outs. Coordinates with sales and marketing departments to time press releases and seasonal promotions with having the right stuff at the right quantity at the right time. Creates scalable processes and automates data entry. Builds effective teams. Analyzes market demand and prepares seasonal sales projections and preorders to suppliers. Negotiates price, terms and services rendered with shipping, logistics, and product suppliers. Oversees warehouse and shipping operations across three locations within North America.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage demand planning, sales forecasting and replenishment for assigned vendors in accordance with budgeted turn rates and growth predictions
- Monitors turn rate of skus and product lines and enacts inventory reduction plans for slow movers.
- Identifies causes of stockouts and backorders and adjusts stock levels to prevent them in the future.
- Addresses quality control problems with suppliers.
- Develops sourcing strategies to ensure business continuity and contingency planning (e.g., second sourcing.).
- Develops and refines forecasting methodologies to minimize the cost of potential purchasing errors.
- Analyzes supply chain flow, identifies bottlenecks, problem areas, and critical control points and drives innovative solutions.
- Minimizes inventory overhead cost and inbound/outbound shipping costs.
- Ensures consistently accurate inventory quantities & locations.
- Ensures that shipping, receiving, and returns accuracy and processing speed KPIs are met.
- Negotiates product costs, inbound shipping costs, and outbound shipping costs from multiple vendors.
- Provides pre-season purchasing projections and blanket orders to vendors to minimize stockouts.
- Oversees in-house production, assembly, and packaging operations, including just-in-time delivery of components for manufacturing projects.
- Supervises purchasing and warehouse departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Motorcycle enthusiast
- Ability to lead, interact and participate in a fast-paced, high-energy, team-driven environment
- Strong time management skills and the ability to self-organize and manage multiple priorities
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required. Microsoft Access or SQL query building experience strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Logistics, Operations, Supply Chain Management or a related field
- Minimum 6 years of purchasing experience for B2C e-commerce retail, B2B wholesale, and/or manufacturing
- Previous purchasing responsibility for at least $10,000,000 - $50,000,000 in annual purchases spanning 5,000+ skus
- Thorough knowledge of sourcing, including vendor identification, research and evaluation, contract negotiation and supplier relationship management
- Experience managing both in-house and 3PL order fulfillment processes preferred
- Practical knowledge of inventory management techniques including ABC analysis and statistical safety stock dimensioning
- Experience implementing an ERP such as NetSuite to be used for streamlining sales forecasting, purchase order generation and inventory management
- High level of polish in both written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills
- Project management experience, preferably familiar with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Extreme attention to detail