Constructed of heavy-duty mild steel, SW-MOTECH crashbars are designed to provide maximum protection, optical integration, and high-quality fit and finish.
- Provides protection to both the fairing and engine without interfering with oil changes or removal of cylinder head covers for valve adjustments.
- All components are protected against corrosion by sandblasting and powdercoating.
- The metallic silver powdercoated finish has a gloss clear topcoat, providing an additional layer of rust protection and beautifying your ride!
- High-strength frame mounting points and 26.9mm diameter mild steel tubing provide heavy duty protection.
- Same as the SW-MOTECH crashbars made for Wudo Germany (just a different brand sticker).
- Compatible with original BMW plastic head guards and Stanton head guards.
- The current version of these crashbars has been modified to be compatible with an aftermarket Ohlins front shock and most other aftermarket suspensions.
- Item fits BMW R1150GS only; not for BMW R1150GS Adventure model.
Please Note: Fitment confirmed only when used in conjunction with OEM skid plate.
Jahnathan Marsh wrote to us on May 23, 2007:
You guys rock! The crash bars came on Saturday. First of all, I really appreciate you guys shipping so quickly - I'll be recommending you to everyone who will listen for a very long time. On that note, the bars speak for themselves. Really beautiful. That was the best wrapping and packing job I've ever seen. Had the box been shredded to pieces I think the USPS could have just put my address on the bubble wrap bag and they still would have gotten in here in perfect condition! The bars themselves seemed to glow with what almost seems like a candy apple gloss clear coat of resilient material. I was almost expecting a dull grayish finish like some of the other 'silver' bolt ons I've bought. These things put my shiny silver Volvo to shame and match the rest of my bike perfectly.
On to the installation: The hardest part was the cross bar that sits behind the front shock. To install it, I finally just took the gas tank off (not all the way) to get my tools in there. Installation would have gone much faster if I had used common sense and attached all of the mounting points loosely before tightening any of them. All told it probably took an hour and a half, taking my time. Everything fit perfectly, looks great, and inspires confidence in case of a tip over or worse. They even make good highway bars to stretch my legs out straight! You guys are going to get a great picture of the bike with the crash bars in a tropical Hawaiian setting for your website or your catalog or wherever. I can't thank you enough for the killer service and an awesome product. I'll be looking for more stuff from you soon, no doubt, and the inmates at ADVrider are going to hear lots of praise for you guys and the SW-Motech bars for the GS.
Check out Chris B.'s review of these bars on webbikeworld.com!!
On 9/25/2008, A. Vern of ADVrider.com wrote:
"Love the SW-MOTECH crashbars. The quality of the bars seems pretty high. I haven't dumped it yet, but the supports for the bars are solid and have three points per side. The other great thing is they act just like a ottoman when you're on the highway. You can kick your legs up and the dual bar perfectly holds your legs up to stretch out without the cylinder heads burning your pants.
Once the crashbars are installed, you'll find that there are two extra bolts to undo to change your oil (not a big deal). The front cross bar of the crashbars (right in front of the tank) blocks the pulley cover on the front of the engine. If you use the pulley to find TDC when you do you're valves you would have to remove crashbar, same for replacing the belt. I use the rear tire to find TDC and the belt doesn't need replacing very often, so these crashbars work for me.
Hands dow, for the price, quality, and protection (so I've read) they are the perfect choice for me."
- Review by Pre05only
- Review by symdarren